Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Home Sweet Home

If home is where the heart is, then I must admit my heart is a bit divided right now.

I grew up in northern Wisconsin, and will always be a Wisconsin girl at heart. I love the small town, the friendliness, the strong conservative values, even the weather. It shaped a lot of who I am (for better or worse), and I often miss it.

I've lived in Ohio since college, so I've been here all of my adult life. It's where Pat and I started as a couple and where we raised our boys. We've lived in the same house for 25 years, and it's where our boys come home to. I like our house, clutter and all (most of the time), and our neighborhood. We live in a very quaint old community with a lovely downtown area and great metroparks. The weather is not bad---at least it has four seasons, none of which have terrible extremes---so it's certainly tolerable.

Yet now, as three of our four boys are in college in Minneapolis, I find that a part of my heart has followed them. I love to visit them and find myself feeling more and more at home there. I feel fortunate that, so far, all of them have chosen the same city. In the future things could change---Evan is getting married and getting a job (hopefully) and who knows where that will be? And although it looks as though Zack will also head off to Minneapolis for college, he could also end up in Pennsylvania.

For my own sake, I hope that they all stay in the same area. If not, I'll cope...I'll just divide my heart again.

No comments:

Post a Comment