Monday, January 14, 2013

LOVE learning!

     I'm getting ready to start another round of Guided-Study Critique Workshop at GetItScrapped.com (http://classroom.debbiehodge.com/guided-study-critique-workshop-registration-2/). This will be my third four-week session; the first two sessions were awesome - I learned SO much about good design and got great, practical feedback on my layouts. I've been able to hone in on what my style is, and although it sometimes varies quite a bit, I've realized that there are still some constants. My process is not necessarily a lot faster (although I can do some pretty quick pages if I 'have' to), but it is definitely more efficient; when there's something that's bugging me about a page, I have tools that make it much easier and faster to identify the problem. And during the class it's so helpful to have the instructors (in my case, Emily Pitts, Paula Gilarde, and Debbie Hodge) and other students look at my layouts with trained and impartial, but also very kind, eyes to give suggestions for improvements or even just big "pats on the back." I love learning about the design process, and this has been a great hands-on way to do it!
     At first glance, this looks like a fairly expensive class; but when you consider what you get - a good, solid design course, with personal instruction from three expert instructors, in a SMALL group setting (max of 12 students) - it is WELL worth it! Plus the feedback from the other students and also being able to see their progress is invaluable! Can you tell I'm in love with this class???
This class does take some time (although it depends some on how fast you can create a layout!), but it's definitely worth it. There are live critiques sessions once a week which are SO helpful, but for those students who can't attend live, the sessions (along with the chat logs) are also recorded; this is also nice because I can go back and listen to them over again and see what I missed the first time or just don't remember!
     I can hardly wait for this to start! The first assignment comes out this Friday and the first critique session is next week. I'm getting geared up and ready to go! Things will get really busy towards the end, since I'm also participating in LOAD213 through layoutaday.com (for more info on that, see http://www.layoutaday.com/layout-a-day-a-worldwide-phenomenon/?doing_wp_cron=1358181144.5263640880584716796875); but I figure they'll complement each other and I can work on both at once. There are still spots available in both the Guided-Study Critique Workshop and LOAD213 - you won't be disappointed! It's an exciting month ahead!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment